How much Protein should you be eating per day!
The amount of protein your body needs can vary greatly depending on a lot of things. Your age, your weight, your lean muscle mass, your training regime and your goals. But as a general rule of thumb if you are someone who is regularly training each week and is looking to build muscle mass and lose body fat. You should be consuming between 1.7 – 2.2 grams of protein per kg of body weight per day. Up to 3.5 grams of protein per kg of body weight can be eaten without any negative health effects.
How much protein are you eating per day? If you are under eating you may be sabotaging your own results. Track how much you have eaten over a two day period and see if you are eating enough. I have listed below some protein sources and how much protein is in each to help make it easy for you to track.
- Eggs – Approximately 6 grams of protein per egg.
- Canned Tuna – Approximately 20 grams per can.
- Greek Yoghurt – Approximately 17 grams per serve.
- 200grams of Cottage Cheese – Approximately 20 grams.
- Whey Protein – Approximately 20-30 grams per serve, depending on the brand.
- 250ml Milk – Approximately 10 grams.
- 100 grams of Red Meat – Approximately 20-25 grams depending on the cut.
- 100 grams of chicken breast – Approximately 30 grams.
- 100 grams of salmon – Approximately 22 grams
- Peanut Butter – Approximately 4 grams of per table spoon.